Books I Read: Daytripper


It's hard to articulate what Daytripper, a masterpiece by twin brothers Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, is about. The back cover copy says:

Meet Bras de Oliva Domingos.  The miracle child of a world-famous Brazilian writer, Bras spends his days penning other people’s obituaries and his nights dreaming of becoming a successful author himself — writing the end of other people’s stories, while his own has barely begun.
Each day in Bras’ life is like a page from a book.  Each one reveals the people and things who have made him who he is:  his mother and father, his child and his best friend, his first love and the love of his life.  And like all great stories, each day has a twist he’ll never see coming…

Fabio Moon says it's about "quiet moments...what you can tell from somebody's eyes. An exchange of looks. A smile." I just know it's beautiful. And powerful. And emotional. Honestly, if this book doesn't make you feel something, then you're dead inside and no one can help you.

This is the part where I usually go on for paragraphs about details about the craft of the book, scenes I liked, quoting dialogue, etc., but I genuinely think this reading experience was a perfect gem that I don't want to puncture by analyzing. (I am, however, willing to mix a metaphor apparently.) It might have been nice to have a deluxe hardcover, but then again the newsprint shows off Dave Stewart's genius coloring perfectly and I'm not sure it would look right on glossy paper.

Comments

  1. Sounds like it's time for me to check this one out now. I've been waiting for some kind of word that a collection was available. Thanks, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Kirkman: Invincible, Walking Dead, Wolf-Man

more random readings from May 2009

Best descriptive 2013 title: Vampire Vixens of the Wehrmacht